Can god be scientifically proven to exist?

Discussion in 'Spirituality & Philosophy' started by saf1, Feb 26, 2009.

1. saf1

saf1 New Member

I have recently been asked a question that I really got me thinking. Someone asked me if I could prove that there is a god, using sience and logic.

I know that throughout history people have made discoveries and been applauded for making scientific discoveries, and only to find out later on that the discovery was false.

Since science is constantly developing, can someone 100% prove something using science? Is it logical to give proof based on science?

I believe in god and I've felt a strong connection with god, and I've never questioned his existence. So when confronted with this question, my mind went blank. I have read about miracles in the Quran, and believed the Quran to be evidence of god, and have always had a strong feeling that this universe with all it's splender could never have just occured by itself, but that's it.

Can everything be understood logically? Can people understand things that are way above their intelligence just by instincts? I feel that some things can be understood intuitively without having solid evidence to prove it.

I'd just like to know what you guys think about this topic.

Thank you in advance for all your replies :)

2. Wanderer

Wanderer Actio infinitus

short answer is no, logic can not be used to prove the existance of something.

And science is based on empirical knowledge.

Whereas religion and a belief in God are based on faith.

2 people like this.
  3. KahunaGrande

KahunaGrande Scurvy Elephant

Try Jean Henri Fabre for starters.

1 person likes this.
  4. SVLurker

SVLurker Well-Known Member

I was taught that St Thomas Aquinas* proved there was a God.
    Then again, he is a Catholic Saint, and I was taught this in a Catholic College.

You be the judge...

*St. Thomas Aquinas is considered by many to be the greatest scholastic theologian and philosopher of the middle ages

1 person likes this.
  5. saf1

saf1 New Member

Thanks you guys for your replies. I'm reading the link you (phil) posted now. :). I will google Jean Henri Fabre after i've finished. :thumb:

6. MidasGirl

MidasGirl New Member

No. Because the concept of god is in the realm of subjective reality. If it was possible to prove god logically, it wouldn't be necessary to defend him/it.

Oh and btw, if god were proven logically, all the religious Kahunas would be jobless. It's not in their best interests as it stands.

7. Scooter

Scooter Na Koa Ali'i

:biglaugh:If so, Where is the fun in that?

8. MidasGirl

MidasGirl New Member

We humans can't stand our own mysteriousness it seems. We must unravel. I wonder if it amuses God. :biglaugh:

9. Scooter

Scooter Na Koa Ali'i

I am sure she laughs

10. sarahgop

sarahgop Active Member

most scientists beleive on faith just like religious people do. take global warming. no one can prove it is happeneing or is caused by man. they beleive on faith.

11. Spider

Spider Strictly business

I think it is impossible to prove something to exist that does not exist. Science and logic cannot prove the existence of a cabbage if cabbage does not exist. If god does not exist, science and logic cannot prove that it does.

I think if cabbage exists, science and logic could prove it. If god exists, science and logic could prove it. As cabbage does exist, science and logic can prove it. As god does not exist in the physical realm at least, science and logic cannot prove it does. However, science and logic cannot prove god does not exist, either.

Therefore, I think it is up to each individual to determine whether they wish to believe that god exists or not, or choose to consider the matter 'undecided.'

12. PhilipOnFire

PhilipOnFire New Member

Global warming does not require proof anymore than the sun rise requires proof.

13. Batman

Batman Dark Knight

You just proved her point :yup:

14. sarahgop

sarahgop Active Member

it only requires faith to the true believer.

15. SilverSurfer

SilverSurfer New Member

Can an apple be used to prove the existence of an orange?

16. saf1

saf1 New Member

I have watched a couple of videos about atheism, and the evolution theory, and I didn't understand anything. Can anyone fill me in on what atheists believe? I can understand that things evolved, but I haven't heard how these things came into existance. If there is more than one belief, I'm willing to hear them.

Thank you everyone for your participation :)

17. saf1

saf1 New Member

Out of interest, why do you think it's impossible to prove god, is it because we can't see him? I've heard that many people have been able to prove god's existance. I'm reading a lot of interesting information on the topic. I will share what I am reading when I fully get my head around these arguments.

18. saf1

saf1 New Member

When I asked if god could be scientifically proven to exist, I mean the creator of the universe. I'm sure people will have different names. I've heard some people believe that the universe made itself, to me, that would mean that the universe is god.

19. Spider

Spider Strictly business

I said if god exists, science and logic could prove it. If god does not exist, science and logic cannot prove that it does exist, simply because it would be impossible to prove the existence of anything that does not exist.

But we weren't talking about individual people's ideas of proof. Your question was about proof using science and logic. Seems to me "many people proving god's existence" is in the realm of belief, and for that I think it is up to each individual to determine whether they wish to believe that god exists or not, or choose to consider the matter 'undecided.'

I look forward to your reports.

20. Spider

Spider Strictly business

We always suppose that the universe was created therefore there must have been a creator. But then the question rolls back one step, who created the creator. And then one more again - who created *that* creator....

I see this as a problem of our own language. We live with a language that needs opposites - we cannot appreciate up until we acknowledge down, we can only understand good by understanding bad. There is no left without right, light without dark, or hot without cold. Etcetera....

We are accustomed to existence and non-existence, and see all around us creation, that instant between non-existence and existence. Therefore, we suppose that everything that exists must, at some time, have been created. I do not find that a necessity. Just because something exists I do not feel the need for it to have been created. Most of what I see has been created - I like nature and gardening and I see birth and death all the time - but I believe the universe has always existed. No creator was necessary.

1 person likes this.