How can i gain 10 pounds of muscle?

Discussion in 'Fitness, Health and Wellness' started by shanrocks666, Aug 27, 2011.

1. shanrocks666

shanrocks666 New Member

Is eating peanut butter and other stuff good for me. Im 5'6 and 15 and i weight 118 and i just wanted to ask how can i gain weight. I want to gain muscle as i am on the wrestling team. Howcan i gain 10 pounds of muscle in a month!? Like what stuff should i eat and which protien shakea should i buy?

2. gradyp

gradyp New Member

First of all, I doubt you can put on 10 lbs of muscle in only 30 days without taking substances you're probably better off not taking to begin with (especially if you're on a sports team). Moderately working out will be the best way to build muscles. As for what you eat, as long as you eat a variety of healthy foods, you should be okay.

There are a lot of great books and resources available for building healthy, lean muscle. find one and try it, but give it at least a good 60 to 90 days to see the kind of gains you're wanting.

3. Joanne1216

Joanne1216 Well-Known Member

4. Wanderer

Wanderer Actio infinitus

If you are in wrestling why would want to gain weight? I can understand gaining strength, to do that you just need to life weights. But to gain wait just moves you up in weight classes

5. saf1

saf1 New Member

If you want to put on muscle, I wouldn't rely on peanut butter. Eating meat, eggs, fish, and drinking whey protein would be a lot better. If you're not afraid of gaining fat, you should up your carbs and fat too.

When I want to gain muscle, I follow Mike Mentzers philosophy, which in a nutshell is to keep training to a minimal, and intensity to the max. Mike beleives that one set to failure is enough to trigger muscle growth, and any more than that could slow down gains.

His idea is that when training with high volume, a lot of muscle fibre is damaged, which means that before the body can start to build new muscle fibre, it has to repair all the damaged ones. This repairing takes a lot of time, energy, and protein.

When gaining muscle is the main goal, it's best to focus on the multi joint movements like the dead lift, squat, bench press, and so on.

All the best :thumb:

Chris Desatoff likes this.
  6. mleighp1

mleighp1 Well-Known Member

You need to carb load immediately after lifting weights to add muscle without the use of steroids. When I competed in body buliding, my coaches had me eating a Poptart as soon as I exited the gym after lifting weights. Keep it in your car or gym bag. Needs to be eating within 15 mins of lifting. Don't eat that crap at any other time though, but if you feed your body the carbs and sugar immediately after weight training, you will add muscle.

Of course you will also need to increase your protein. To maintain muscle during fat loss, you need 1g of protein per pound of body weight. To add muscle, take it to 1.5-2g of protein per pound of body weight. Start your day with whey protein mixed with water and end your day with the same thing.

If you are adding muscle quickly, you will probably see that you are also getting soft and adding fat. You can cut later and lean out, so don't worry about too much but if you want to reduce the amount of fat you have to lose later, you can keep your protein intake lower in fat. Chicken breast, turkey breast, tilapia, tuna, lean ground beef, lean steak, and salmon.

Oh, lastly, I don't think its possible to add 10 pounds of muscle in a month, even with steroids...at your weight. And you really do NOT want to mess around with steroids. Its not worth it and you can do some serious damage to your body. You are young and still developing and could really affect your sexual organs messing around with steroids at your age.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2011
  7. Scooter

Scooter Na Koa Ali'i

THAT ALONE is enough incentive for any smart person to leave Roids alone.
    Too bad there are fools out there that fall into the trap and find out too late that they ruined the only body they have.

Eat right, lift weights, let nature take its course and stop putting bullshit pressure on yourself. You're just a kid.
    Go surfing for hells sake!

8. joewow

joewow New Member

Hi friend ... drink whey protein, and drink it once in the morning right when u wake up, once 40 mintes before u work out, and once right after u work out, those are the times ur body needs somethin like whey protein the most.... Best of luck

9. sherlyroger86

sherlyroger86 New Member

Without a appropriate preparing and thorough observance of exercising and eating plan, you are more quickly to sacrificing the concentrate of your objectives, I expect, that you have at least one big purpose and one lesser purpose each to keep you on the progress.

10. zekes

zekes New Member

You should do intense work out and eat foods that is high in protein because you need a lot of energy on lifting weights at the gym.

11. Azyth

Azyth New Member

Sorry it's not gonna happen unless On the juice. Muscle is extremelly slow to build. No shake or anything will build it easily. Eat enough food to maintain body weight, you're a beginner so you'll put on muscle quite fast. However it won't be 10 lbs in 30 days.

Don't buy protein shakes our bodies don't accept processe food the same way as whole foods. So instead of spending so much money on protein shakes, get yourself some oatmeal, eggs, 100% peanut butter (ingridients list should say only peanuts nothing else), lean protein (chicken, fish, pork, beef), beans, green salads and lts of fruits.

Morning - 1cup of oatmeal and 5 whole eggs, 1 tb spoon of honey, 1 fruit
    Lunch - 1 cup of beans, 100 gr of lean protein, handfull of almonds, 2 choice of fruits
    Dinner - 3-4 cups of green salad with 100 gr of lean protein, 1 choice of fruit

This diet is about 2500 calories, which is gonna build you some lean muscle and lose you the excess fat. If you follow this strictly you might put on 2-3 lbs on that first month.

Good luck!

12. wadeinni

wadeinni New Member

Definitely stay away from those processed chemical protein shakes. I had a bad experience with one of the popular brands sold at a popular nutrition store 12 years ago in my heavy muscle building days. A natural diet consisting of great proteins from sources like chick peas, white meat chicken, or turkey is good to start.

Weight train 5 days a week, rotating your routine (designate certain days for back, arms, chest, and legs)

Do a lot of calisthenics. You want real muscles, not that inflated juice induced stuff or over the counter power proteins with serious side effects.

13. Jay Mee

Jay Mee New Member

You need first to eat right products and to gain healthy weight. After that you need to go physical loan to gain muscles)

14. Jay Mee

Jay Mee New Member

Hi guys! I am back and I found an article directly what you need How to Gain Weight Fast and after that - transform it into muscles!

15. Chris Desatoff

Chris Desatoff New Member

I wouldn't freak out about protein shakes one way or the other. They aren't miracle products (despite the misleading ads), but they aren't poison. There's not a single professional bodybuilder on the planet who didn't rely heavily on protein shakes to boost their protein levels and gain mass (if I'm wrong about that, someone here will be happy to correct me and name one who did).

Bottom line is this: lift heavy weights and eat more healthy foods. Protein shakes can certainly fit into that, but they aren't a requirement.

I second @saf1 's advice above. Read everything you can find by Mike Mentzer about high intensity training. You don't have to become a zealot like Mike was though haha. There are lots of effective methods out there, but short, intense, infrequent workouts with compound lifts (like squats, deadlifts, bench presses, push presses, power cleans) are proven to work really well for natural athletes who are also doing sports-specific workouts daily.

Good luck.

Come back again soon and let us know how it's going.

And yes...pbj sandwiches are good too =) Just get other protein sources in there too, okay?

16. Chris Desatoff

Chris Desatoff New Member

Hey you know what? I just reread your post and our responses, and nobody gave you a specific plan. So here's my advice; take it or leave it...

WEIGHT TRAINING

On top of your wrestling workouts, lift twice per week. The goal is to get in and out of the gym/weight room in 30 minutes or less. Take at least two days off from lifting in between these workouts.

Warmup Sets
    For each exercise, do the following light warmup sets before the main sets listed in the next section...

• 1 x 20 reps (light...maybe just the bar)
    • 1 x 5 reps (put a plate on each side of the bar...10 lb? 25? 35? 45? ...depends on how strong you are. But remember, it's a warmup.)
    • 1 x 5 reps (add another plate)

Then add another plate and complete the sets and reps below. You should be able to complete every rep without assistance from your spotter. If not, the weight is too heavy. You could probably increase weights slightly every single week. But if not, that's okay. Take more rest days and then hit the weights again.

If you're gaining a little strength every week on this program, then just stick with it and try to increase your numbers every week. Once you hit a plateau, take an extra rest day per week and start incorporating HIT principles into your workouts. But you might not even have to do that for quite a while; I sometimes made fantastic progress for months at a time with just straight sets and not trying to force my sets "beyond failure".

DAY 1
    • Squats 4 x 12
    • Bench press 4 x 10
    • Deadlift 4 x 6

(1st set: pickup where you left off in your warmup, but just add 10 pounds or so to each side on each set until you cannot make all your reps. Do this for all the following exercises. I'll give an example at the end.)

DAY 2 (2-3 days later)
    • Power clean 4 x 10
    • Push Press 4 x 8
    • Pullups or Pulldowns or Barbell rows 4 x 12
    And that's it. I used a system very much like this after high school and made gains every week all summer long. Low volume. Heavy weight. 1-2 minutes rest between sets. Plenty of rest days. I also would sometimes continue to add a plate every set all the way til I was doing heavy singles, doubles and triples (but not every workout...maybe just a few times per month).

DIET
    Beyond that...try to double up on protein and carbs every chance you get. Here are some good foods to eat...
    • steak
    • chicken
    • fish
    • tuna sandwiches
    • seafood
    • pork
    • eggs
    • milk
    • brown rice
    • oatmeal
    • vegetables (you need this. don't talk back. :D)
    • fruit
    • avocado
    • beans
    • peanut butter and jelly sandwiches (actually...jelly is optional. Try shoving a whole banana in there instead).

If you want to gain weight naturally asap, you gotta eat. A lot.
    Lift. Eat. Sleep. Repeat.

Now for that example of how your workout might look...
    (your actual weights will vary)

Squat
    45 lbs x 20 reps
    65 lbs x 5 reps
    85 lbs x 5 reps
    95 lbs x 12 reps
    115 lbs x 12 reps
    135 lbs x 12 reps
    145 lbs x 12 reps

So, you warmup with the bar and high reps. Don't speed through it. Take your time.
    Then you add weight and drop the reps.
    Then you add more weight.
    Now your warmup is done and it's time for the harder sets...
    Add a plate and make all your reps. Continue until all 4 work sets are done. If you ever cannot complete all the reps, then that means you're done adding weight, and you should strip off a plate and finish the last set/s.

Eventually, you'll add in high intensity techniques to push yourself to the limit. But use those sparingly and only as needed to push through plateaus. Most of the time you won't need to do that to make gains in strength and size.

Also, every couple months...just take a week off from the weights. This will allow your whole system to absorb the training you've been doing and avoid overtraining and injury. Don't worry, your strength won't suffer.

And keep eating.:p