How do you keep yourself motivated?

Discussion in 'About Success, Motivation & Goal Setting' started by slingingshot15, Sep 3, 2012.

1. slingingshot15

slingingshot15 New Member

what are some ways that you all keep yourselves motivated???

please share with the rest of us

MainlyMotivation likes this.
  2. ricardo2012

ricardo2012 New Member

How do you keep yourself motivated ?

I keep myself motivated by listerning to motivated business speakers, reading books of success ful people and also by going to shops and absorbing the abundance.Places like Mercedes Benz and Shopping centres because what you embrace you attract, law of attraction.

3. slingingshot15

slingingshot15 New Member

great wisdom......thanks

4. SuccessResources

SuccessResources New Member

Personal action is the best way to become motivated. Start off by just doing something...anything...even if it is just a little bit right now. Then you'll feel a little more "in the mood" and you'll be able to do a little more...then more... and finally you'll be working at full speed, you'll feel good about yourself, your morale will come up, you will be producing, and you will be MOTIVATED. :)

5. ReneGodefroy

ReneGodefroy New Member

Stay focus to your goal. Do not be tempted with distractions. Always remind your self about your goal. You will get there.

6. MitchW

MitchW New Member

Is Motivation the Point?

Personally I believe that "motivation" as it is generally used, is a bit of a dead end. Usually motivation is about getting "revved up" emotionally. This kind of purely emotionally based motivation is fleeting at best however, since the purely emotional level is erratic and undependable. Having a deeper sense of purpose and being truly inspired are much more reliable ways to stay on track in my experience. When you have a compelling sense of purpose, even when you aren't feeling emotionally positive or "motivated", you can nonetheless stay on track and do what needs to be done simply by keeping your inspired purpose in mind. It allows you to take action even when you don't "feel" like it emotionally.

Hollow Jaxon likes this.
  7. successvibe

successvibe Administrator Staff Member

I agree Mitch, using emotion as your primary motivator is going to fade and lead to a loss of focus and ultimately a reversion back to your original state.

Mostly because people use external factors to achieve that motivation.

I believe that to be successful it requires the development of internal motivation of which emotion can be a part, but shouldn't be the primary factor.

and I absolutely agree that sometimes you just have to do it whether you are motivated or not.

Honestly I think procrastination and motivation are intrinsically linked. Studies have shown that procrastination increases as a persons sense of understanding and belief decrease. I think motivation is the same way for many people.

It is easy to get your self motivated to begin a project, it is another to maintain the consistency required to complete a project. As the newness wears off, people often start to suffer from a lack of direction as they start to deal with the details that were glossed over in the beginning phase.

Once they near the end, many start to question if what they have done is going to work, will it be successful, etc. I think this doubt is what often leads people to abandon their projects while on the verge of completion.

In those moments, I think purpose and a mindset to do what must be done is critical to the eventual success.

thew1seone likes this.
  8. Skya

Skya New Member

I agree also, even though sometimes it's easy to forget. I know I do and have to be reminded of it sometimes.

9. Do Great Things

Do Great Things New Member

I used to struggle with trying to stay motivated all the time. I would work so hard to "feel" great, but it would soon fade. Emotions just don't work. They may "LEAD" you to a better, more productive mindset eventually, but relying on them is just emotionally draining.

So I started treating my goals and dreams as a day by day thing. I have successfully conditioned myself to a point where if I go too long during the day without some form of production I tend to feel bad. Sometimes if I take a break for a couple hours I get that same feeling. Just depends on what I'm working on. That "Bad" feeling tends to motivate me to get started.. and once I get started I just seem to roll. Call it a built in monitoring system.

I'm not always completely eager and excited about working like I thought motivation was suppose to be. But I am a lot more stable now that I've honed in on that little skill of getting back to work.

10. joliemartin

joliemartin New Member

Motivation and struggle are two different things, If you thinks that your business is working perfectly and you are satisfied with your workers, then definitely your motivate and self-confidence increases itself. I think that this time is one of the best times for me, when someone praises my business and work, particularly when my competitors praise my success.

11. susmita

susmita New Member

Hello,

I keep my self motivated by creating certain goal set in my mind but always these goals are small and easily achievable it helps me keep tension free and also let me go higher slowly but steadily.

12. Skya

Skya New Member

I think that's a pretty cool way to go about accomplishing goals. That's kind of what happens to me too, though, I usually call it "guilt." Like when I was still in college and I knew I needed to do homework or work on a project and was procrastinating, I'd call it "homework guilt." To alleviate the guilt I just get up and work on something. Though sometimes, I still sit on the couch and live with the guilt. I'm getting better at it though. Like yesterday, I was just sitting around, it was a beautiful day, so I just decided to gear up and go for a run (more like walk/jog). I only committed to a 1/2 hour, but I ended up staying out for a whole hour and ran 3 miles and I'm so glad I did. Action definitely alleviated my guilt.

13. Johnsons

Johnsons New Member

Ultimately your motivation can stem from the reasons behind why you’re working. If your current project is for a paycheck then use that energy. Everybody needs to get paid to make a living!..

14. PositiveBomb

PositiveBomb New Member

Hello everyone,

here is my poor advice on motivation:

I have a job I hate and I feel like crap every morning. But, I've decided to get up earlier and search for some inspiring videos or music on the web.

After that the most important thing is to do some physical activity, like running. After really hard workout, I feel so much better. I am ready to cope with all negativity on my work.

15. PhilD

PhilD New Member

Help me understand what you mean by "how do you keep yourself motivated". Do you mean excited, or doing what you have to do? I am being sincere in my question, because I do not believe that being motivated is a precursor to handling your business. So I am curious as to your meaning.

16. mleighp1

mleighp1 Well-Known Member

I believe that publicly discussing my goals keeps me motivated. Its one thing to let myself down and know in my own mind that I dropped the ball on whatever goal I was working on, but its another thing entirely when the rest of the people in my world know that I dropped the ball and gave up.

So anytime I start a new endeavor, whether its fitness or career related, I discuss it with my friends, my family, sometimes my coworkers (the fitness part, not the career stuff). There were cookies at work today but I had just announced to my coworker that I am going to be eating healthier. I can guarantee you that had I not made that announcement, I would have gone for a cookie but I couldn't do it knowing that my coworkers would know I was failing at my own goals.

17. Pietro51

Pietro51 New Member

find some motivated friends and live with them Every day

18. DukeTheNuke

DukeTheNuke New Member

I like to Keep myself motivated in three ways. The first is listening to strong music with a lyrical guide. I have been listening to a song called Unstoppable by an artist by the name of Bellringer. Check it out if you like hip-hop or rap.

Second I keep my body and mind healthy with plenty of reading, rest and exercise. Yesterday I finished reading Zen and The Art of Motorcycle Maintenance and ran 3.2 miles.

Lastly, I like to imagine how people would remember me. If I am unhappy with the result it motivates me to work harder the next day or week. I realize this last statement can sound gloomy and it is. To be honest though if I were to think those thoughts then it means I am slacking and then becomes a positive reminder to work harder.

19. LaptopLife

LaptopLife New Member

Whenever I feel like giving up, I just think about the reason I started in the first place.
    Then I just to myself, that there are no failures only quitters!

To Your Success :cheers:

20. nickgdavies

nickgdavies New Member

I'm using a method called the '30 Day Challenge' to keep myself motivated. It was inspired by a TED talk given by Matt Cutts (a Google employee) a while back. The system is very simple - you just set yourself a specific goal for 30 days and stick to it. As Matt actually states in his TED talk, 30 days is a good round figure to set for completing your goal, as it takes this length of time to form a habit.

The theory is that after having spent this length of time repeating the actions that lead to your goal, you are more likely to make them an actual habit. The goal you set yourself initially should be something which is realistically achievable in the given time (for instance, the first one I did was to write at least 500 words a day for a month - which worked well!) This is why I use the SMART goal setting method in conjunction with my 30 day goals.

My current 30 day challenge is to progress my Internet Writing Business. This is going well so far, especially with the help of a 30 day journal to record my progress. I've also set up a new productivity system based on an e-book I read recently. All this has helped immensely in terms of motivation, because I have set myself the goal at the end of the 30 days of making a significant impact on the writing business. I think the key to this has been the setting of a short-term target set against the back-drop of a longer term overall goal (which is to have a successful writing business.) By breaking down a longer-term goal such as this with a series of shorter milestones to work towards, you are giving yourself more scope to recognise short-term successes as part of the overall picture. This, I have found, is a very powerful way of super-charging my motivation.

You can see Matt's TED video on this post on my blog: http://psychologyofsuccess.org.uk/habit-forming-over-30-days/