How to be more accepting of other religions

Discussion in 'Spirituality & Philosophy' started by mleighp1, Dec 27, 2008.

1. mleighp1

mleighp1 Well-Known Member

taken from here http://www.wikihow.com/Be-More-Accepting-of-Other-Religions

In todays world, there are many different religions. Each one is unique with its own rituals, celebrations and explanation of how the world works. It is easy to compare another religion with your own beliefs and to find many differences. However, if you find that these differences make you believe that you are in some way superior, it can cause a lot of problems with your friends, family and coworkers. By accepting other religions, your life could be a lot easier.

1. Accept That Everyone Is Different Because all people are different, everyone needs to make different choices to be happy. Your way may not be the only way - just like you can't expect your music tastes or favorite food to appeal to all, you cannot expect that everyone will be drawn to your religion, or any religion at all for that matter.

2. Take A Step Back And Stop Criticizing Before you point out the "holes" in another person's religion, take a look at your own, as every religion has its faults. Every religion has questions that cannot be answered. This is why faith is necessary - to keep you from giving up when something doesn't make sense.

3. Think About Other People's Feelings Think about it: You're choosing not to accept someone based on religion, on their differing beliefs and morals. This is extremely hypocritical. You are making someone feel bad about themselves because they don't agree with you. No one should have another's beliefs forced upon them.

4. Do not attempt to change them. If you meet a person of another religion that is also kind, why try and change them? If you meet an Atheist that is honest, kind and pleasant and try to say he/she is a bad person because he/she does not believe in what you do, who is being irrational: you, or them?

5. Recognize Similarities In Religion Another reason why hating a person based on religious beliefs is ridiculous is that almost all religions have certain similarities. Study the books of major religions carefully, and you will be surprised by the number of views and fables that are similar to your own religion (with different characters, of course.)

6. Learn About Religious Ceremonies If you think a religious ceremony or practice looks odd, learn about it before you wrinkle your nose at it. What does it represent? What is the symbolic meaning of all steps and objects involved?

2 people like this.
  2. KKPDX

KKPDX Feeling Grateful Everyday

Excellent article Meredith. :thumb:

Very positive. Thanks. :)

Kimberly

3. Jennihul

Jennihul B excellent 2 each other!

:applause:

So no more debates then?

Jennifer

4. Joanne1216

Joanne1216 Well-Known Member

:biglaugh:

My question is.....WHY is there any debate? Why can't everyone just be like me and accept one another for who they are?? :)

Awesome Mer :thumb:

5. SVLurker

SVLurker Well-Known Member

I absolutely LOVE Debates.
    • I LOVE reading them
    • I LOVE participating in them.
    • I LOVE learning from them
    What I don't like is the needless arguments

As much as I LOVE debates, I'll be the first to say...
    As a Success Forum, maybe we should do away with the Political & Religion Thread

Isn't it sad that we may have to "punish" everyone because a few people don't behave?

Last edited: Dec 27, 2008
  6. Joanne1216

Or....those who don't know how to have a discussion shouldn't participate.

I like that Idea better :thumb:

7. SVLurker

I TOTALLY agree, but as we seen it the past...
    That ain't going to happen

8. Joanne1216

Oh just be quiet would ya???

I have a darn date tonight for a belated Christmas party and I should be cleaning and getting ready so good-bye for now but I'm sure I'll be back in a few minutes ;)

9. Jennihul

Jennihul B excellent 2 each other!

Debates/arguments/discussions/babble/battles...blah blah blah...what ever you call them and whatever they turn into, you cannot deny they:

Challenge assumptions (which is NEVER a bad thing)
    Broaden minds (which is NEVER a bad thing)
    Play Devil's Advocate (which, if you and your argument aren't weak, you can always withstand)
    Introduce people to new ideas (which is NEVER a bad thing)
    Reveal the truth about your friends (which is NEVER a bad thing)
    Reveal the strength in your friends (which is NEVER a bad thing)

So what are you so afraid of? :kiss:

Jennifer

10. seekperfection

seekperfection Focused on success

I agree, you should avoid the sections.

11. Joanne1216

Why are you here?????? Didn't you say you were leaving the Vibe? :p

12. seekperfection

Ignoring certain aspects of life on earth does not make them go away. If you want to build tolerance towards others, then you have to work through your own prejudices and anger. I'm working on mine and it would be great if others did as well.

Now I'm sure that you, or someone will pull up something I said and try to use it to say that I'm not working on the issues. But I can assure you that I am, the old me would have been far nastier in the replies.

13. seekperfection

I'm waiting for a free game trial to download, so I'm killing time. The game is huge, it says it will take 6 hours to download. :yikes:

14. Flower

Flower New Member

Joanne,
    I think its good to debate religion!

You may read headlines of other religions but in order to understand them better, you need to ask questions in order to get the different details etc. Like Meredith, Spider and I have done about sex, birth control and the catholic church.

I also see some good things coming up in the Muslim thread. People are learning about another religion and culture and that can only be a good thing.

15. SVLurker

Well, in that case....

Welcome Back :thumb:​

I've always enjoyed your humor

Last edited: Dec 27, 2008
  16. Batman

Batman Dark Knight

two words seek

broad band ;)

17. SVLurker

Um, Batman...

It's actually one word "Broadband"
    (Not that I would ever correct a moderator)

18. Batman

Batman Dark Knight

I know :shhh:

It wouldn't have worked if I said "seek two words - broadband" see?

19. SVLurker

You could have said...

"Broadband Internet"
    or
    "Broadband Connection"

OK, I'll shut up!

20. KKPDX

KKPDX Feeling Grateful Everyday

It still didn't work. :D

Couldn't you have said.... Seek, I've got one word for you "broadband"