No advertising

Discussion in 'General Talk' started by Tom, Jan 2, 2007.

1. Corinne Friesen

Corinne Friesen New Member

And, on that note, I think y'all should know I have relatives in Africa who died in a freakish accident and from whom I will inherit $100 million if you would all just pitch in and help me raise the funds it will take to release it across the border... I got an email about that this morning.:D

2. Batman

Batman Dark Knight

:worship: :thanx: :applause:

3. Jennihul

Jennihul B excellent 2 each other!

Doesn't seem that complex. Hmmmm. :hmm:

PS: I'll supervise Jules in the chat room.

Jennifer

4. GR8FL2BME

GR8FL2BME The Bejeweled One

:party: Good Gawd in the chat room! :party: ​

5. Joanne1216

Joanne1216 Well-Known Member

I don't know Jen, I think she needs more than one person supervising her ;)

6. Spider

Spider Strictly business

On a serious note (Sorry!)---

Tom, Could you give us some official guidance on the following:

If someone asks for information about something (Yoga, for example, because that's what seemed to spark this re-statement of policy) and the resident yoga expert, Corinne, is obviously the best person to answer, how can she do that without appearing to promote her business?

The other day someone asked if anyone knew a business and personal coach they could recommend. Well, every personal coach and every business coach who is a member would recommend themself, but to do so would be self-promotion. Is the questioner to be ignored, or are only non-coaches allowed to answer? Both George and I contravened policy to answer a genuine request.

Also, what if someone says not-so-nice things about something that is part of a member's business. How can the member rebut the statement without appearing to self-promote?

I applaud your stance, Tom, and agree with it 100% but it does seem to have a huge grey area that needs some clarification.

7. Batman

Batman Dark Knight

Don't know if this it the official response or not but wouldn't that be a good use of private messaging?

8. Spider

Spider Strictly business

Yes, it probably would, Tim. I just never seem to think of the PM system.

But it wouldn't be in other cases - for example, my other suggested situation - Also, what if someone says not-so-nice things about something that is part of a member's business. How can the member rebut the statement without appearing to self-promote? -would not be adequately served by a PM.

9. Batman

Batman Dark Knight

Yeah, I agree you want to be able to defend in public what is stated in public - not sure what the meisterburger will say about this one

10. KahunaGrande

KahunaGrande Scurvy Elephant

I really think this is being made out to be way more than it is.

The policy clearly says no links to your own sites in posts, but it is OK in the signature. There is to be no self-promotion - I think it is easily possible for Corinne to answer questions about say yoga, or me about making signs, without promoting yourself for gain.

The real issue here, and at other places I have been, is that while it is both acceptable and desirable to share knowledge - that is why we create communities like this, it is not acceptable to use the forum to drive business to yourself.

For example, I can answer questions about how to design graphics for airplanes or to make signs without linking back to any of my websites unless I am just being lazy and do not wish to take the time to actually type out a response and would prefer instead to direct someone to something I have already written. If however I were to just tell people to pay me to make signs for them, or to pay me to tell them how to design graphics for airplanes, that would clearly be a violation.

Let us not make this tougher than it need be.

1 person likes this.
  11. Debbiefreckles

Debbiefreckles New Member

Good point. It is nice of Tom to have a classified section, and I appreciate that because many sites do not. So I have the attitude of gratitude for this site.

Spider: although you are a coach I think you can still give info on coaching, you just can't advertise your business.

I am doing interior design and I don't think Tom would mind if I gave free advice...I just can't advertise.

12. MantaRayz

MantaRayz YoUniversally Aligned

yer not attempting to suggest that people would actually go out of their ways to waaaaaaay over-analyze things are you?

naaaaaaahhhhhh ..... I didn't think so.

13. Spider

Spider Strictly business

If I were to reply to someone who asked about applied automobile graphics, John - me, who knows little about applied graphics - and I were to say, 'I am not a big believer in what normally passes for applied graphics! They won't stay on very long. I would have the graphics painted on by a good artist.'

And you - who know something about applied graphics - know all sorts of reasons why applied graphics are better than painted on graphics, any rebuttal would be promoting yourself, I think.

14. KahunaGrande

Wow, you used less words than I did, and they were even my words, and it makes just as much sense as before. Manta rocks and lacks my extraverbiosity syndrome.

Yessir, that is exacary what I am sayin!

15. MantaRayz

I think yer just in the throughs of Snow-Blindness this week. I liked the completeness of your thought.

PS ..... on certain days, on certain verboss-o-meters, my results peg the dial. :dance:

16. KahunaGrande

Ummm, simple,

I could easily address that AND stay within the rules by directing my reply to the factual inaccuracies (if any) in what you stated, by sharing my experience in product durability or replacement\warranty claims, and by directing you or others to other resources that could be reviewed for third party info - all this could be done without attempts towards driving business my way.

Any questions?

17. Corinne Friesen

Corinne Friesen New Member

I think that would work. Personally, I've decided to give general answers and information on the posts, and then, if people want details, PM them with details, links, etc. If that would fit the house rules?

18. Spider

Spider Strictly business

Neil. Some while ago, you asked me what bug I have up my ass about you. This post of yours is one such. Disparaging comments like this are really quite unpleasant, not just to me, but to others, too.

We weren't analyzing, or overly-analyzing. I asked a serious question of the Administrator, and someone chose to discuss it.

If you didn't find it interesting enough to join the discussion, you are quite welcome to remain silent. Sour comments in my direction are not welcome.

19. MantaRayz

By answering the Question, and perhaps offering other solutions or ideas as the case may be.
    If the person likes your answers, they know how to contact you.
    I can think of at least 1 Coach who did not recommend themself on the open forum.
    There are people that use the PM system extensively. It works.
    Being an example, instead of a reason for question, would be one way to rebutt.
    another way to 'rebut'? don't look at everything as an arguement to be won.
    "what if ..... "
    " ..... buuuuuuuut ..... "
    "every ..... "
    "how can ..... "

Using Colors to paint is the best way to not create grey areas.
    of any size.

20. Aviatrix

Aviatrix Goddess

In other words....you'd just flame 'em KG style!!!:p