No advertising

Discussion in 'General Talk' started by Tom, Jan 2, 2007.

1. Tom

Tom Former SV Owner

Yes, the point is that it's intended to be a community, not a place to find customers or site visitors. Many people see forum sites as nothing but a place to advertise. That's fine, and I can't say I blame them, but if the majority think like that, it defeats the purpose of the forum. A benefit of having links in signatures, is that you can indirectly drive business your way.

Yes.

Corrine can promote her business that way, just not directly. Naturally, if Corrine is in a yoga discussion and appears to be an authority on it, which she clearly is, people interested in yoga will be inclined to visit the yoga site in her sig. So Corrine may be promoting her self/business/site, whether it's intentional or not, but not in a way that goes against the grain.

As to the rebuttal thing, when self-promotion is a natural byproduct of the discussion, it is not a problem. Let's take two different examples...

Example one: Say I've written a book on bowling, and there is a link to my bowling site in my sig. Now let's say there is a bowling thread and a lot of bad bowling advice is being hurled around. Of course, I'm going to go in and add my two-cents on how to really bowl well. And of course it will be "promotional" for my bowling for my bowling business/book/site/etc.

Example two: Same scenario, but this time, I go in and say that's not how you hold the ball, here is a picture [insert link to one of my bowling pages] of how you do it. Or I say, we were just discussing this on my bowling forum [insert link again] the other day.

Example two is against the rule.

1 person likes this.
  2. Spider

Spider Strictly business

Excellent, Tom - Thank you!

Might I suggest that your post #61 and your original post be copied, posted, and tagged as Official Advertising Policy. Seven pages for anyone coming later is rather long, don't you think? And it probably won't get read. I do believe you have captured the whole of the policy in those two posts.

3. Auswithspirit

Auswithspirit FIREWALKER

Was always raised to respect the house your in and those who own it so no argument from me Tom

4. donaldswf

donaldswf New Member

The Motivational Speaker

Hi All,
    Hope I can manifest today!! Here is my take on that
    —————————————————————
    The source of success is in the inner being of everyone but the laws require that everyone finds it for ones self. Following this art of successful thinking one properly focuses on, achieves and fulfills all ones dreams in this harmony with life.
    BY DON AND RUTH

5. Awake at Last

Awake at Last I'm a "she" :-)

Ummmm.....hi. Kind of a strange place to intro yourself; you should make a post in the Introductions forum and tell us a little about yourself.