Problems with iPhone - any experts out there?

Discussion in 'General Talk' started by LaBellaVida, Nov 12, 2011.

1. LaBellaVida

LaBellaVida Happy to be alive!

wanna talk me off the ledge? I have the original iPhone - i only use it for my music. i had lost my usb connecting cable to sync to itunes so someone gave me a spare one yesterday. is it possible to get a "bad" usb cable? It had been a while since i synced but bought some new music. now my iphone won't work - it is stuck with the picture you get when you are syncing - the pic of the usb cable with the arrow to itunes CD picture. it won't do anything else. i did reset it by holding the sleep button and home button at same time. still didn't clear. at first it read the device in itunes but wouldn't bring mem into the syncing function. now it stating the iphone cannot be synced. the required disk cannot be found i looked up that error message and it states it has something to do with picture formats but i am not using th epicture function. all i wanna do is sync my itunes.

rrrrrrrr

i can't live without my music people. i hunted around in the apple tech support archives but couldn't find anything else. I cnat see my normal iphone screen - it's just stuck at that pic.

just wondering since this is a usb cable i never used before if it could be that. should i go buy another? should i pay apple online to diagnose my problem? OR should i bite the bullet and invest in a new ipod since i only use it for my music?

2. LaBellaVida

another quesstion....i just slooked on craigslist and there are pre owned ipods for sale. if i buy a used one will i have problems syncing with my itunes on my computer? one thing ic an't live without on a daily basis is my music so i must figure this out. any advice from techys?

3. SVLurker

SVLurker Well-Known Member

:wave:Hi Gina:

I don't know much about Apple, but there are THREE things I do know:

ONE: Steve Jobs was a creative genius, and will be missed

TWO: Apples are quality products, and

THREE: Um, I forgot what three was - EPA? (Oops sorry, wrong forum) :D
    Seriously, THREE is Good Customer Service

I would start there.
    Although "Most Apple products come with 90 days of complimentary technical support and a one-year limited warranty",
    I've heard more than once that they have helped - if you're nice (be sure to say "Pretty Please").

U.S. iPhone Technical Support: 1-800-MY-IPHONE (1-800-694-7466)

Apple iPhone Support Website

4. Stoic_Jason

Stoic_Jason Great Member

It really could be the cable. I have 6 iPod cables, and 4 no longer work.

You can clear out a used iPod and set it up with your existing iTunes. I've done it, although I had to get online and do a little digging to figure it out.

5. Scooter

Scooter Na Koa Ali'i

Does it look like this?
    [​IMG]

If so then it is stuck in DFU mode
    Did you try to jail break or anything?

Try holding both the Home button and the top start/stop button until the device reboots. If this doesn't help, There are some apps out there that can get you out of DFU mode but they only work if the cable is good so I guess they are another way to tell if the cable is shot.

I'd just call apple, if you did a jailbreak, don't tell them and they can help walk you though resetting however you might lose everything. But Id try a hard reboot as stated above and a complete restore in iTunes.

apple support rocks, they can help

6. tigerbunny

tigerbunny New Member

If it was a really long time since you synced, you probably need to run the software updates before you try to sync. It seems like they update every three days, but I know it's not that much.

I have a friend with an iPad and there two books she wanted to buy that wouldn't download. She was able to buy different books, but those particular ones wouldn't. She needed software updates.

7. LaBellaVida

Yes, that's it that's it - that's what I see on the screen. I did try to reboot. My mom is bringing me her cable tomorrow so I will try hers if not I will contact apple. i have spent so much time online trying to find the problem. I will also try apps if cable switch doesn't work. thankks scooter

thanks also to TB and Jason and SVL. I will let you know how it goes. three days now without music - unless I want to play on my laptop but the sound just ins't the same!!

8. Scooter

Scooter Na Koa Ali'i

9. LaBellaVida

when iu plug in the computter pulls up itunes but it doesn't take me to the syncing screen. i tried my moms cable tonight but its a no go. so i am now watchin video you posted. thx scoott!
    i put a new ipod on my list for santa since all i use iphone now is for my music. the apps are great but not needed and honest i have a hard to time seeing the screenn so just using for music is a.o.k.
    thx scooter i will let you know how i make outt

10. LaBellaVida

scooter wanted to thx you again for this. this guy really helpeld me out he was easy to understand. i did everything he said but I still cant get out of dfu mode. i tried to restore - and i thought it was going to work - and then i just get the same messsage at end stating it can't make contact with iphone. its weird. good news is apple store is right down street from my therapy so i'm heading theire tuesday. thanks againf or taking the time

11. Adonijah

Adonijah New Member

I guess resetting your device can help you,If you have already done Hard reboot.There can be something wrong with the technicalities of the device which can be resolved through it.At the same time if it doesn't really work you can go for a professional take it to the Apple Store and they can help you with this issue because i had a battery issue a while back it was draining rapidly i through i need to replace it,But after Googling it i got to know that Hard Reboot can help me,I did that and it worked.

12. Walley

Walley Member

If you have problems with iPhone, it's best to contact the professionals. I don't contact the service center, because it's usually expensive, I found a good master for phones here https://misterfix.us/shop/iphone-repair/iphone-5/ . They repair phones very quickly, inexpensively and give a guarantee for repairs.