Quotes from your favorite authors

Discussion in 'Quotes' started by Coach Morse, Jun 19, 2006.

1. Coach Morse

Coach Morse Swim, Bike, Run

From 7 Habits of Highly Effective Families, by Steven Covey.

I actually did not read this, I listened to it on cassette. But there was a part where Covey was talking about some kid who wanted to grow up an play basketball (don't remember all the details), but at some point the kid says:

"I will do today what others are not willing to do, so I can have tomorrow what others will not have."

please share a quote...
    gm

Bully Beef likes this.
  2. CJS

CJS Señora member

"To observe without evaluating is the highest form of intelligence."

Krishnamurti

3. tim_4077

tim_4077 New Member

Fear is that little darkroom where Negatives are developed.
    ~Michael Pritchard

4. Coach Morse

C'mon successvibe members and guets who know they want to join!

Is this the best you can do? That's it? Almost 800 members and only 3 quotes?

You're killing me!!! :bonk:

5. Lucky

Lucky New Member

Creating

"Reacting is Creating in the wrong order ..."

I thought of this myself, but I'm probably not the first to think of it...

Create and enjoy a wonderful day!

6. Coach Morse

That's an interesting thought Lucky. Maybe we should start a thread for original quotes.

Can you share a quote from one of your favorite authors?

7. Lucky

Lucky New Member

Oops, I didn't see it was quotes from favorite authors ... let me see

How's this one from Jim Rohn?

We can have more than we've got because we can become more than we are.

I'll see in the coming days if I can come up with more good ones! :thumb:

:wave:

8. tim_4077

tim_4077 New Member

The sign on the door to success says, "PUSH".
    ~anon

Never quit. The end result is not what's important. It's the journey that makes the person who they are and what they can become.
    ~Paul Morris

People are always blaming their circumstances for what they are. I don't believe in circumstances. The people who get on in this world are the people who get up and look for the circumstances they want, and, if they can't find them, make them.
    ~George Bernard Shaw, "Mrs. Warren's Profession", 1893.

(Not much has changed since 1893 huh)

9. Coach Morse

Now we're cooking!

Here's one.... it's a little long... from Ralph Waldo Emerson's Essay on Self-Reliance:

"Trust thyself: every heart vibrates to that iron string. Accept the place the divine providence has found for you, the society of your contemporaies, the connection of events. Great men have always done so, and confided themselves childlike to the genius of their age, betraying their perception that the absolutely trustworthy was seated at their heart, working through their hands, predominating in all their being. And we are now men, and must accept in the highest mind the same transcendent destiny; and not minors and invalids in a protected corner, not cowards fleeing before a revolution, but guides, redeemers and benefactors, obeying the Almighty effort and advancing on Chaos and the Dark."

10. tim_4077

tim_4077 New Member

Man thats deep Coach.
    I tend to think it could be taken a number of ways. I'd love to hear your interpretation of it? I havn't really forged my own yet, i'm still digesting the quote.

:yup:

11. Tom

Tom Former SV Owner

I agree Tim, there's a whole lot in that one little paragraph.

12. CJS

CJS Señora member

this is a favorite which relates to Emerson's:

"To thine own self be true,
    for it must follow as dost the night the day,
    that canst not then be false to any man."

Shakespeare

13. Coach Morse

It will certainly hold a somewhat different meaning for each of us. For me, it means that what I feel compelled to do is divine in nature and in keeping with my unique design. Emerson encourages me to recognize my purpose and take action consistent with what I know in my heart to be my own transcendent destiny. In so doing, I cast a light for others to see and follow.

Emerson's essay on Self-Reliance has helped me to find the courage to believe in my own worth, when it seemed, in the eyes of society, that I was insignificant. There were times I felt he was speaking to me directly, like he could see 150 years into the future and knew that I was filled with self-doubt; and this great and significant man was telling me, "Who you are is exactly who you are supposed to be. You were made for a purpose... Trust thyself."

gm

14. Lucky

Lucky New Member

Another quote ...

"Success in the world, business or otherwise, is far more a function of how well you engage the Universe and its magic, than it is of how well you manipulate the time and space around you. This is every tycoon's secret - whether they know it or not.

Your job is NOT to out-maneuver the competition, to play into the hands of future clients and customers, or to reinvent the wheel.

Your job is to define your dream, to imagine the end result, and to move with your hunches and instincts - that's it. The rest will automatically and effortlessly fall into place...a brilliant marketing strategy, the best "location," the "clutch" idea, and perfect timing between them. The Universe is ALIVE in the unseen, and active in all of your affairs. Learn how to use it." - Mike Dooley

Not bad either. No fancy words, no poetry. Just tell it like it is, Mike! :thumb:

Create and enjoy a wonderful day!

15. Coach Morse

"Responsibility starts with a willingness to consider a new relationship with the circumstances in your life." Howard Goldman author of Choose What Works

16. Kat

Kat New Member

One of my favorite quotes is by Margaret Thatcher:

"Look at a day when you are supremely satisfied at the end. It's not a day when you lounge around doing nothing, it's when you've had everything to do and you've done it!"

KAT

17. chazper

chazper New Member

ha ha... nice thread. here is my favorite by Napoleon Hill. Although it's basic and old, I still think it is one of the foundation in achieving success...

"Whatever the mind of man can conceive and believe, it can achieve."

And another one...

"Desire is the starting point of all achievement, not a hope, not a wish, but a keen pulsating desire which transcends everything."

Bully Beef likes this.
  18. chazper

chazper New Member

another one... i just saw this quote today while i was surfing the net. I really can't remember it word for word... it's from Donald Trump

"If you want to balance work and pleasure stop balancing them. What you need to do is to start making your work more pleasurable."

It's closely similar to "Love the things you do and do the things you love".

Bully Beef likes this.
  19. Kat

Kat New Member

"Everyone thinks that the principle thing to the tree is the fruit, but in point of fact the principle thing to it is the seed."

- Friedrich Wilhelm Nietzscme (1844-1900)

When I think of this quote it reminds me that we can achieve getting things such as a home or car and lose them. The key is not in the things but in the knowledge of how we got those things. I am starting over without a spouse, a home or car, but because of the seed of knowledge I am rapidly getting back what I had at a quicker pace and more of it.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2006
  20. Dinnie

Dinnie New Member

With great power comes great responsibility

--Spiderman

Bully Beef likes this.