'Religion' vs. 'Spirituality'.

Discussion in 'Spirituality & Philosophy' started by Corinne Friesen, Dec 22, 2008.

1. Corinne Friesen

Corinne Friesen New Member

Here's a thread to discuss the differences between the concept of 'religion' vs. the concept of 'spirituality'.

To start, how about:

Religion is the clothing we put on our spirituality.

2. Joanne1216

Joanne1216 Well-Known Member

I've always wondered the difference.

Great thread Corinne!!

3. Corinne Friesen

Thanks, Joanne. I've very interested to see what kinds of definitions and differences people come up with.

4. GR8FL2BME

GR8FL2BME The Bejeweled One

For me, my religion and my spirituality compliment each other. My version of spirituality is very personal and somewhat complex to verbalize. I believe in the afterlife of the soul, soulmates, and angels. I also have a strong faith in God, Jesus, and the Holy Spirit.

1 person likes this.
  5. FamilyMan

FamilyMan New Member

I think spirituality is personal and religion is the organization of people with the same spiritual outlook and beliefs.

They just closed our office because of the storm we are having - is it spiritual or religious when we pray to God for these things? :D

Tom

6. seekperfection

seekperfection Focused on success

Tune into a Christian church service on a TV station and mute the sound. Now look at the picture on the screen. What you are seeing is religion. Now take the mute off, close your eyes and listen to the preacher as he reads from the Bible and explains how the passages fit into our lives. What you're hearing is spirituality. Religion comes from human beings, they're the physical trappings like uniforms or formal wear, pews, etc. Spirituality comes from God and Jesus.

7. Corinne Friesen

:p
    At the very least, Tom, it's miraculous! :D

Nicely put, Seeks.

8. seekperfection

Thank you.

9. SVLurker

SVLurker Well-Known Member

So...
    One cannot one be Spiritual if they do not believe in Jesus :hmm:

10. seekperfection

They can be spiritual, but not in a good way. Even satanist are spiritual, but I'd rather not glorify what they're doing.

11. SVLurker

SVLurker Well-Known Member

So your saying they're BAD Spiritualist? :nono:

12. WorkInProgress

WorkInProgress New Member

If ever you wonder why you encounter resistance to your beliefs, or even something you take as indignation....

If ever you wonder why, as you put it some time ago, why you are portayed in the same vein as the "God Hates Gays" crew (although that was your inflammatory characterization of my and Spider's position)....

If ever if ever if ever you are :hmm:

Read what I have quoted from you above.....

You have decided that someone else is being spiritual in "not a good way"

You are so full of dogma and blinded by the rhetoric that you regurigiate that you just dont see it. You just dont see what pisses some people off, do you?

Everyone else has the problem in your world. Everyone else is intolerant.

I cant wait to see how you take this post and turn it into a vicious personal attack. I cant wait to see how you twist my words and portray me to be some intolerant Godless cretin, deserving of wordly forgiveness but otherwordly damnation.

I once described you, some years ago, under my "alter ego", as a true humanist......a fellow tree hugging "live and let live" kind of guy. A person that admired simplicity yet could at the same time appreciate the trappings of wealth, success, and fame.

I sure do miss that guy.

1 person likes this.
  13. WorkInProgress

WorkInProgress New Member

You're

14. Batman

Batman Dark Knight

Sure they can.

15. genghis707

genghis707 New Member

I think spiritually is what you believe deep down inside of you in the loneliness of nights when noone is around, and what you believe about life, the after life, and how things work in the world.

I think religion is the man made part of it, that is power hungry and is a business.

16. seekperfection

I've read the satanic bible, so I know what most modern day satanist are trusting in and what point of view they're adopting. Glorifying yourself and seeking revenge against anyone who has slighted you for even the most minor reasons does not feel good. I never was a satanist, but I once held grudges for years on end, even when the other person had long forgotten about the matter. I was so full of hate and anger for the most trivial of reasons that the emotional baggage was weighing me down and taking up too much of the space in my heart. Satanists feed their dark side and that is not a good thing.

As for being a humanist, what does that mean? What are the moral guidelines for a humanist? From what I've seen there are no moral absolutes and what is ok changes as you go along. Even before I was a Christian I hated the term humanist because it seemed so wishy-washy and limiting to who I was. I also have never liked the term tree hugger, it is also limiting and in the minds of many you sound like a flake. I still believe in being good stewards of God's creation. I also still want to reach out and help people. But the difference now is that I have a set of moral guidelines that are set in stone instead of areas of grey. I no longer accept that there are times when hate and theft are ok and I used to feel that way. Those who know me in the real world talk about the positive changes they've seen in me and how glad they are to see them. I wish that everyone felt that way about it because I feel happy with it as well.

17. Auswithspirit

Auswithspirit FIREWALKER

LOL nice try!!!! After the battering i have received over religion in one day i think i will sit and read and think and not discuss :thumb:

18. Jennihul

Jennihul B excellent 2 each other!

Religion is not a necessary part of my spirituality.

Once someone defines a religion, you have automatically alienated anyone who doesn't specifically believe as you do...which is EXclusive rather than inclusive. Not a very Christ-like attitude.

I have no problem with people choosing religion for the clubby atmosphere and the uplifting messages and the comraderie and community and the support. It's just not right for me. Too limiting.

Jennifer

19. Batman

Batman Dark Knight

Not trying to start a war here, I really would like to know how you came to the determination that Jesus was inclusive

that doesn't sound inclusive

20. Jennihul

Jennihul B excellent 2 each other!

I don't agree that that text was translated properly. But I don't want to start a war either.

I'd like to know who told you he wasn't inclusive and more importantly, why you believed such nonsense?

Jennifer