Successful communication.

Discussion in 'Spirituality & Philosophy' started by Spider, Jan 12, 2009.

1. Spider

Spider Strictly business

I would like to suggest a real "Success through Religion" thread. This could be success through other means, too, but doing it *through* religion makes it a little tougher and thus a more powerful lesson, if it can be learned.

(Yes, I know the idea of taking little steps and practicing on little things first, but it can sometimes be beneficial to tackle the big problems straight out of the packaging.)

It seems to me that recent problems in this forum have arisen from particular words and attitudes. There have been two groups of people - the same people each time - finding themselves at odds with each other. Let's call them the Christian Team and the Alternative Team. (I'm ready to change the names of the teams if it helps any.) Almost certainly, whichever team you feel you are on, it is always the other team that starts the fight.

In broad terms, the Christian Team, according to the Alternative Team, are overly sensitive. And the Alternative Team, according to the Christian Team, are insulting. Both teams are eager to discuss certain religious topics but they have so far each time turned them into a brawl.

Now, it seems to me that we - all of us - must at times deal with people at work, at home, in our social groupings, with whom we cannot get along. How cool it would be if we can learn from each other ways to prevent conflict and create accord. If we could do that here, at the Vibe, I'm sure we could improve our life and work situations no end. And if we could do it in this forum, on this topic, we could do it anywhere on any subject.

Who's game?

1 person likes this.
  2. Jennihul

Jennihul B excellent 2 each other!

It's too much trouble to have to constantly measure words, worry about people's irrational responses and second guess every thought you have.

I'll take my chances and just express myself.

Jennifer

3. KKPDX

KKPDX Feeling Grateful Everyday

I'm always game Spider.....:thumb: I think it's a nice idea, but I really feel this cannot be done if it concerns religion or politics. We just have to accept the brawling. :D

If however you CAN make this happen- I will applaud you like crazy. :applause:

Kimberly

4. KahunaGrande

KahunaGrande Scurvy Elephant

deleted by author

Last edited: Jan 13, 2009
  5. tigerbunny

tigerbunny New Member

I've got a suggestion for successful communication. How about for the most part leaving out the word 'you'? Unless it's in conjunction with 'I', as in:
    'I heard you say blahdyblahblah. And this is what I think about that.'

When I label people, it's usually a good indicator that I've stopped listening. And we've all heard the story about what Mother Teresa said about praying. 'What do you do when you pray?' 'I listen.' 'and what does God do?' 'Oh, he listens, too.'

It's amazing how much can be gained.

6. tigerbunny

tigerbunny New Member

I'm curious as to what you do when that happens? Do you walk away? Or do you continue the damage? Me, I usually walk. I used to walk far too late, when I was limping.

I feel sad to read that.

Why not? Does that not leave the insulter looking worse than you?

Again, why not?

It would be the kind of testimony that shows you are turning the other cheek.

Peter was not silent. He actively lied in denial. imho, very different.

But will you allow anger? Or could you allow love?

But this is not the temple, this is a place where unbelievers are invited to witness, yes? And this is discussion, not commerce, nor anything against the covenant.

1 person likes this.
  7. Spider

Spider Strictly business

Well said, TB. Those are good comments - expecially coming from a new Viber. Welcome aboard.

Kimberly, it can be done, and if it were to happen, it wouldn't be me making it happen. I'm a coach, not a miracle-worker, and both main protagonists have made it clear they are not going to try.

At least Jennifer was honest in her refusal and I respect her for that.

8. KKPDX

KKPDX Feeling Grateful Everyday

I know it wouldn't be you making it happen... But it would be you that got the ball rolling! :thumb:

I think sometimes we just have to know when to walk away. This might be one of those times.... ;)

Kimberly

9. Paul@Pittsburgh

Paul@Pittsburgh Moving on

I agree with that!

10. KahunaGrande

KahunaGrande Scurvy Elephant

deleted by author

Last edited: Jan 13, 2009
  11. Stoic_Jason

Stoic_Jason Great Member

Definitely.

Very cool. I believe there are those who really do wish to ignite conflict. There will be no lasting harmony with those people. BUT, this format (forums) does allow for an easy way to avoid the conflicts, and that is to REFRAIN from responding to rude comments. Seems to me, if you have a problem with someone, let them know. If you believe what they are doing is hurting this place, let the moderators know. Then there is the 'ignore' feature for those who persist in starting fights or being rude. The one thing that does NOT work is to try and make friends with some people. They get there kicks from knowing they can pull the strings, and the emotional will do just what they want them to do. It isn't limited to online forums, I think we've all known people like that personally.

So, I'm all for peace. I just think a good option is to not engage. I mean, really, how dumb is it for parties to argue and argue and argue when the results are ALWAYS the same? I would ask those who counter snide remarks with snide remarks to please stop. This place can be so much better. I think it just takes a little more maturity from the participants, coupled with real moderation.

1 person likes this.
  12. Jennihul

Real moderation is a joke, Jason. Let's just be honest. It's REAL clear that there is favoritism. Unless Seeks, Paul and especially Wandy's User CP are as full of warnings as mine is. I doubt that very much. Bias is alive and well at SuccessVibe. God help you if you don't conform even in your beliefs.

At least we'll never blame the Middle East for their warring ever again. If we can't handle a conflicting viewpoint in a forum, how can we expect them to when they have lived this for millennia and lost real property and lives and loved ones and freedom? That would make us really hypocritical.

Very enlightening. I have found this whole subforum to be a massive success. It's been extremely revealing. :thumb:

Jennifer

13. KH Rising

KH Rising Well-Known Member

I find it baffling how a member can instantly transform from a political heavyweight who insulted and belittled the opinions and beliefs of others into a pussycat who gets upset at people making snide remarks at the little baby jesus. I'm sorry, but that's just how I see it.

As for Christianity.. are we talking about the same faith?? The faith that was built by your Lord and Saviour Jesus the Christ? The Son of God that came to set fire to the earth and not bring peace, but a sword? Is this the person some people here are trying to defend? Well here's a newsflash - Jesus doesn't need defending! That doesn't mean you should take attacks on the chin, but it also doesn't mean that you have to go on the rampage and strike back just for your own personal sense of honour. It's terribly un-Christian and makes people question how much you've learnt from your Messiah.

I've learnt a lot over the last couple of weeks from people like Jennihul, Batman and Paul@Pittsburgh. Discussing theology here has helped me a lot on my spiritual path. Possibly more so in the last two weeks than I've learnt in the last two years. I guess this thread is part-rant (the first paragraph) and part-message of hope. I know that it'll be hard for forumites to read this message as one of hope, but that's just because of my limited communication skills.

When does enough become enough?

14. Batman

Batman Dark Knight

when all the egos are satisfied

15. Jennihul

You made me spit milk out my nose, metaphorically. I don't drink milk. But you can believe it literally if you want. ;)

The ego, satisfied? I know mine is unweildy. I find it impossible that others will be able to contain theirs.

So basically, this will be an unending discussion. As should be. Because nothing should be beyond our ability to discuss.

What really needs to change is not that the discourse happens, it's the moodiness when people are challenged.

Let's put it this way: Christ was challenged his whole short life. How could you possibly consider yourself worthy of his Word, if you can't even have a discussion about His faith on a forum without flipping out, feeling anger and sinking to depths of ???? or deleting your posts like a *****? (my own censoring)

Jennifer

16. Chuck D

Chuck D BOZO

After Oasis third album.

Downhill after that mate.

Ash after 1977.

I could go on.

17. MidasGirl

MidasGirl New Member

When all the egos are satisfied, there will be no need for argument, taking sides, or counter-arguments, for we will know that we are ONE!

Meanwhile, egos rule:rulz:

18. Adonijah

Adonijah New Member

Its more like the necessary thing because what i feel is when its about going for the right thing we can get to have ideas which help us most of the times and we get ideas from them because at the end communication does matter a lot which lets us go in to the right direction.

19. srirama123

srirama123 Business Motivational Speakers in India

Hello
    communication is often about more than providing information. It is about fostering social awareness and facilitating public democratic dialogue. It is about contributing to evidence-based policy, and about building a shared understanding which can lead to social change.