What Are You Reading Now?

Discussion in 'The Library' started by Coach Morse, May 24, 2006.

1. Coach Morse

Coach Morse Swim, Bike, Run

Currently I am reading "The World is Flat". I'm almost 200 pages into it and I'm finding it to be a real chore. Only 250 more pages to go... uhg!

What are you reading?

gm

2. tim_4077

tim_4077 New Member

I know this forum is titled 'success books', so i wont blab on about the awesome fantasy books i read lol.
    I must say though, i got alot of benefit out of Robert Kiyosaki's financial stuff. Overall, they serve to awaken your own desire to succeed. Alot of people misunderstand that, and get angry that the books dont provide clear cut, step by step advice on getting rich.
    Bah! Wrong mentality, methinks.
    Anyways, i like books. So much to read...so little time. Put that one down if it's crap coach...read something more beneficial.

3. Coach Morse

If it doesn't get better soon I will skim / skip my way to the end.

BTW, feel free to talk about whatever books you like. My all time favorite(s) is the Foundation Trilogy by Isaac Asimov. More than just sci-fi, it offers incredible insights into social trends... a real mind opener.

I'm also a big fan of Ray Bradbury.

gm

4. tim_4077

tim_4077 New Member

I will check out the foundation tri, thanks!

My two favourite fantasy authors are David Eddings and Raymond E Feist. Been reading books from those two for a long time now, they're fantastic. Sort of like lord of the rings....dwarves, orcs, elves etc....but not so serious.
    Worth checking out if you like that sort of genre.

Tim

5. Coach Morse

Really enjoy that genre in movie form... not so much in books.

6. docaps

docaps New Member

I am reading "The Concise Art Of Seduction by Robert Green".
    Bit heavy so I am going slow.
    Appears promising though

7. Dinnie

Dinnie New Member

I am reading 7 Habits of Highly Effective Families by Steven R. Covey. Onto the second chapter now, and till now I have found it to be highly entertaining, insightful and principle-centred. I am going back to Chapter 1 to read it over again, I will continue to do so until I have actually begun to implement the principles into real life.

8. Coach Morse

I finished "The World is Flat". Interesting perspecive on the global economy. On a scale of 1 to 10 I give it an 8.

I finished re-reading Think and Grow Rich. Scale of 1 to 10 I give it a 7. It was written so long ago that the examples are not relevant for today's circumstances. Also the whole section about the transmutation of sexual energy is really stretching and loses a point for that.

I'm currently reading How to Win Friends and Influence People. So far it is reafirming what I already know. I wanted to read it because there is a man I know who is crazy for the book who keeps recommending I read it. I want to have it done before I speak with him again so when he asks me if I've read it, I can honestly answer yes and put an end to the endless recommending of it. :hopeless:

9. GoalGetter

GoalGetter New Member

I am nearly finished with "Think Big!" by David Schwartz. It is a really good book; full of information. And each chapter ends with outlining the previously suggested activities to put the information into action.

A lot of the information I had already heard one way or another, but I like getting new perspectives and reading his presentation. Besides, none of us are perfect and, like a basketball player, working on the fundamentals make the difference between the occasional victory and consistent personal victories. If you haven't read it, I highly recommend it!

10. Coach Morse

Is it anything like "The Magic of Thinking Big"?

11. GoalGetter

GoalGetter New Member

Yeah, that's the one. I thought there was more to the title but I didn't have my book with me.

12. Coach Morse

Excellent book! Scale of 1 to 10 I give it a 9.

13. GoalGetter

GoalGetter New Member

So what books qualify as a 10 for you? I'm curious.

14. Coach Morse

10 is hard to get. There are no self-help books I have read that I would give a 10, because as soon as I have to start sifting through psycho-babble, guru-speak, unrealistic examples and other such mumbo-jumbo, the book starts losing points.

"The 7 habits of Highly effective Families" by Steven Covey, I listened to on tape. I found most of it to be realistic and most of the information was useful... the most of any book I have read.

It's been a long time, but some principles that have stuck with me are:'
    Changing your paradigm
    If you want to be understood seek first to understand.
    The power of compliments
    The emotional bank account
    Put the big rocks in first
    Slow is fast and fast is slow.
    I am willing to do today what others are not willing to do, so I can have tomorrow what others will not have.

Books I would give a 10 are ones that are not self-help but ones that I thouroughly enjoy. They are:
    The Foundation Trilogy by Isaac Asimov
    A Tale of Two Cities by Charles Dickens
    The Martian Chronicles by Ray Bradbury

... and not books but more profound than anything else I have ever read are Ralph Waldo Emerson's essays on Nature and Self-Reliance.

15. GoalGetter

GoalGetter New Member

Have you read "The 8th Habit" by Covey yet? I purchased it a little while ago and started it, but have yet to get very far.

16. Coach Morse

No, I haven't. Let us know what you think of it.

gm

17. MelodyBinOC

MelodyBinOC New Member

Hi,

I recently read the way of the peaceful Warrior. I enjoyed the first 2/3 quite a bit. But my interest waned near the end. It really gave me alot of insight into how much of what I experience comes about from my own thoughts.

I really want to reread Tony Robbins Unlimited Power again. Cant find my copy anywhere.

Right now Im working on Baron Baptistes "40 Days to Personal Revolution". He is a yogi, but the begining of the book discusses the Laws of Transformation. Im finding it very helpful in overcoming some obstacles.
    :thumb:

18. Kat

Kat New Member

Recently I received an email from Joe Vitale promoting Dave Lakhani's book "The Power of an Hour: Business & Life Mastery in One Hour a Week".

Has anyone read this book? Comment?

19. Highschoolrichkid

Highschoolrichkid New Member

I am currently reading a book called "Sex, Money, Kiss," written by Gene Simmons, from the rock group KISS...What makes this book kind of cool is it is a 'success' book writen by a real rock star.

Gene's opinions aren't for everybody, and it could offend some people. For instance, he comes right out and says that he believes life is about two things--more cash and more sex. And his opinions of women and marriage may not be very 'politically correct'.

However, Gene is a brilliant businessman. And a very hard worker. In fact, his secret of success is "No booze, no drugs, and hard work."

Check it out. Like I said, you may not agree with everything he says, but it is an interesting read. :tiphat:

20. chazper

chazper New Member

Wikipedia:
    1 Simmons claims he has never been drunk or taken drugs.
    2 Simmons claims he has had sex with over 4,600 women. However in a 2004 documentary on The Biography Channel, his partner claimed that such statements were made for publicity reasons and are in fact not true.

I like no. 1, but then again... I don't know if I'll believe in what he says... sex with 4,600 women then contradicted by his wife? If I know more about his real activities, then I might change my mind... anyway that's showbiznez.