What is the best wealth book???

Discussion in 'The Library' started by Debbiefreckles, Jul 11, 2007.

1. Debbiefreckles

Debbiefreckles New Member

Over the years I have read many books on spirituality, psychology, ect. However right now I an trying to focus on wealth.

I have read The Richest Man in Babylon and some Suzie Ormon books.

What is the best book on creating wealth you have ever read?

1 person likes this.
  2. Anything by Brian Tracy or Harvey Mackay.

Creating abundance, IMO, has more to do with your mindset vs reading about what businesses to get involved with or what mutual funds or stocks to buy.

People who are truly living the life that they have designed learned to ask the question "Why not?" They didnt get that way shorting stocks or selling on eBay...Those things were merely manifested by their thought process.

3. Debbiefreckles

Mindset like as in the law of attraction? I really am trying to learn how to get wealthy. I am reading the books. I have not created the wealth yet, at this pace it will take years. I am trying to think of ways to increase my income.

4. Highschoolrichkid

Highschoolrichkid New Member

Hi,

I'm not going to comment on the Law of Attraction...there are already a ton of opinions on it on this forum...

However, if you don't know what to do, may I make a suggestion?...learn an income producing skill...study marketing and sales

There is really only one way to make money --SELL SOMETHING.

You can have a product that is the cure for the common cold, but if you don't know how to market it and sell it, it doesn't matter...

So, if you don't know what to study, start studying marketing and sales.

5. Spider

Spider Strictly business

Debbie - I'll do a trade with you.

The book I am currently writing is called, "So, Who Wants To Be A Millionaire - How To Get From Working Class To Wealthy." From what you said, I believe it targets what you want exactly. At least, that is the intention - to be THE book for someone who says, "Right now I am trying to focus on wealth."

I would like to send you a draft for you to have, use and hopefully benefit from, and in return ask you for a thorough and honest evaluation.

Deal?

6. Debbiefreckles

Excellent deal. If you read my thread that is exactly what i'm looking for a good book to read on the topic. I would be happy to do an evaluation.

7. Debbiefreckles

This is the most telling thread I have ever had.

I don't want this to sound conceited but I am just being factual. In my job I am excellent at sales. This thread probably won't even sound like me because I rarely say what I'm good at.

I in any banking job I have always been #1 sales in the nation...starting selling individually and was #1 in the nation many months, then managed a team of 14 who were #1 every month consecutively, then lead a team of 300 (30 managers and 270 sales people) to be the best in the region for one of the 4 credit cards we all use in America.

The "fee products" I was in charge of were 25% of Discover cards total profit when I started there. It was around 30% after I worked like a dog, authored and trained all of the programs. My boss use to call me the "sales guru".

But then something happened, after I got the goal for the company as I promised I would, because I knew I could, he pulled me in his office and said " you have one good skill which is sales, but I have had you train all the managers to learn to do this now. You re-trained the training department and authored the new sales books. So now every body now has learned how to sell. So what are you going to do for me next? Frankly I don't think you have the best organization skills and now every body knows how to do the one skill we needed from you." that was my last day of employment with Discover Card:( I did get a 10,000 bonus, bonus for the revenue goung up, but I worked 60 hours a week to get those sales up, train all of the employees, ect. I felt so betrayed. I worked so hard and put systems in place for my job to be easier. I set up a system so sales would keep going up. I did "train the trainer" where I taught the entire training department how to train sales.

I get so emotional even writing about it. So I can sell but that hasn't heped me get rich.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2007
  8. Cat Lover

Cat Lover Writer of my life story

Suzy Orman's "Nine Steps to Financial Freedom"! :thumb:

Also "The Wealthy Barber" Can't recall who wrote it though! :hmm:

9. Highschoolrichkid

Listen, that story is both sad and great...You obviously understand that sales is the key to creating revenue...I would agree with you that I hate selling for other people...most companies or "corporations" treat sales people like crap...the corporation is always trying to f#@k with your commission, and every other department resents the sales department becuase the think the sales people are loud, obnoxious, don't do anything, and make alot of money...

So I would definately look at selling your own product, or sell a straight commission job where the company owner 1099's you, so you're essentially an independent contractor, and the powers that be leave you alone...

Now, with your talent, have you thought of being a personal sales coach...?
    There are plenty of salespeople who are willing to pay you very good money to coach them...If you'd like, PM me, and I'll give some tips on how you can start...

10. Paul@Pittsburgh

Paul@Pittsburgh Moving on

I was thinking the same thing. In fact Debbie, in your position, I'd be ticked off enough to be calling every competitor to Discover card and telling them the results I got and offering them some kind of in-house training that would give them similar results. Maybe you could link your payment to in part a fixed component and in part a % of what they see in increased sales revenue over a period of x months.

Paul

11. Debbiefreckles

Well I have worked as a sales trainer but the word "coach" makes me think of the big guy with the teeth:D , or somone who had their dream life, well rounded, creating conditions almost exactly as they want. Selling is the one thing I can so easily, and train easily, but many areas of my life to need to improve. My main problem is I am making other prople wealthy. Now that I realize this I want to make it work for me.
    Yes, If I got even 1% of the net, It would greatly outweigh the $10,000. If I got 3% of just the amount that increased since I started, I would have massive financial freedom.

Although I could look at that experience as a win-win because they gave me my first chance to manage, and now I have a good proven track record from two different banks.

12. Highschoolrichkid

You would give personal sales coaching sessions, over the phone, to clients...

I'm not talking about you being a life coach or whatever---I never understood what a 'life coach' was supposed coach somebody on anyway...I am talking about you starting a coaching business where you coach salespeople, from any type of sales or you can narrow it if you like, and help him or her raise their sales, maybe role play with them on some sessions, ect...

Hey, it's just a thought...

13. SilverSurfer

SilverSurfer New Member

Debbie, if I may jump in, I think you need to start over again, find a company that you can rise up in and create magic all over again. that will inspire you to keep it up.

What you described basically happened to me, but much less-direct and less harsh. I am good with organization and translating management theories into processes, but I am not a friendly sales guy.

So when I was done with two major major milestones for the company and had received a bonus in the high 4-digits, I was told that one of the new management slots would be given to a 28 yr old who worked 7 days a week. He didn't have the skills or experience I did, but he came into work every day and pumped out the results. It was a killer experience for a new father, knowing that no matter how hard I tried I could never equal that kid's output because I WANTED to stay home on Sundays when I worked 5 1/5 days a week (I ran saturday morning management meetings).

I essentially found a new company, got a job, and within 12 months got myself back to "Golden boy" status with a new company. I may or may not stick here forever, but I'm rolling that giant stone back up the hill to get the company prepared with all the skills I have. Along the way I'm learning new techniques as well.

Now, you can talk about the money you earned for Discover, but at my original company I was a member of a proposal team that won a contract worth over $400 mill.

14. Debbiefreckles

Wow you mean you won the contract for 400 million? As in it was part of your pay? Or you made 400 Million for the company? I'm just not sure what you meant by the last paragraph but the rest is great advice.

SS considering what happened to us both I want to rise up at another company as you suggest, but part of me wants to work for myself.

The bank I'm going to now laid off 6000 people, so people with lots of banking experience like me are scrambling.

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=10000103&sid=alNnzCCrlAOg&refer=us

I live in a town where most of us were bank employees.

INSTEAD OF REACTING TO THE SITUATION IN FEAR I NEED TO THINK OUT OF THE BOX, there are already to many laid off bankers looking for jobs below average pay. Those who got to stay took pay cuts and had their jobs retitled. And there are lots of those "28 year olds working the seven day week" taking the lower pay for experience. (has nothing to do with age referring to SS job being taken over)

Last edited: Jul 12, 2007
  15. thinkingal

thinkingal Grateful...RIP CatLover x

I totally agree with the others. Get out there & sell yourself as a 'sales coach'. If you can get those results, you will be constantly booked out & can name your price.

From there, there is public seminars on not just selling a product, but selling themselves (oops, not like that :eek: , but for the unemployed, even for dating perhaps!). Then there's the book market.

You said you didn't want what you said to come across as conceited - it didn't. You have done these things. They are the facts. Use that to your advantage! You know how to sell, and you know how to train. That combination is particularly powerful, and you can use it to gain a very wide audience.

Go for it! :dance:

16. I don't want to hijack a book thread Debbie and make it about employment, but I've always felt that for anyone that believes that certain skillsets are applicable to many different disciplines, there should be virtually no limit to the opportunities that are out there.

Let me give you an example...I have been in the insurance industry for 15 years, and since I own my agency, theres a 99% chance that Ill never do anything else but this. Its impossible for me to get fired or downsized, so Im only limited by my ability to brand & network to grow, and retain what clients I have...However...suppose that tomorrow my company decided to yank my contract, and by some freak of nature I couldnt get any other companies....

Id take my ability to sell, communicate, lead, organize, etc (all of which I need to get better at every day) and find the first job, any job, where I could leverage these skills and maximize my income. It wouldnt matter if it was selling high end cars or managing a retail store. I would be able to do any of them by virtue of what Ive learned and done.

Sure, my first choice, and the path of least resistance would be to stay within my industry, so as to enjoy the flattest learning curve, but I wouldnt limit myself to any particular industry simply because thats what I know the best, nor would I rule it out based on a bad experience in the past.

I know that you are saying that youre open to many things, and want to work for yourself, as you feel that that is the path to unlimited opportunity, but I would encourage you to simply be confident in your abilities as well as your abilities to learn and do something new.

17. Debbiefreckles

My dad has been telling me this as well. I have to agree 100%. I feel a little scared (as I always do to try something new) but I'm going to pursure this. I know I can train sales, heck I have done it. I think I have just been waiting for a job to open up instead of creating an opportunity for people to contact me.

18. Debbiefreckles

I get it. I get fearful of being down sized, but you are saying that even though you own your own company this could happen to you. Therefore there is no security "guarentee". So, I should just think of how many different ways I could use my skill because there is no permanant job.

19. It is virtually impossible for it to happen to me, and I certainly would not want to test my theory that I could and would go do something else, but my point was that skills are skills, whether you are selling credit cards, selling books, doing accounts receivable, or making sandwiches. The difference is, if you got a job at Wawa, for instance, you would look for the very first opportunity to become a shift mgr, then an asst mgr, then a mgr...A go-getter is a go getter, it doesnt matter what it is youre doing.

The difference between the unemployed person who doesnt have or believe they have skills is that they will, in the name of survival, go work at a diner for instance. The second person WITH skills, or simply WITH some confidence will go work at the diner, but also line up 10 investors to buy a stake in that diner at the very first opportunity, or pay attention to whom he or she is waiting on, and chat up the folks that look like they may be able to help him or her get their foot in the door somewhere else.

Get it? Some people are worker bees, and some people are queen bees just pretending to be worker bees until the door cracks open.

I go to the Taco Bell next door once in a while, and genuinely feel for the people that work there, for it seems to me a thankless job for little pay. Know what, though? Take everything I have from me tomorrow, and Id go work there.....Except Id figure out how to BUY the frickin place the first chance I got.

The statement above, though "take everything I have" is pure make believe, however, since what I did today, what Ill do tomorrow, and the next day and the next day, ensure that nothing short of a nuke going off in my lobby could take what I have. I call it "Digging My Well BEFORE Im Thirsty"

Get it?

20. thinkingal

thinkingal Grateful...RIP CatLover x

:biglaugh: :biglaugh: :rofl: :rofl: :biglaugh: :biglaugh:

I luv that you're funny even when you're not trying to be!