what self help stategies have worked for you?

Discussion in 'The Library' started by saf1, Jul 21, 2008.

1. Scooter

Scooter Na Koa Ali'i

Know what you want
    Know why you want it
    Don't stop till you get it

There, I saved you a small fortune on PD books and Rah Rah conferences.
    And Remember, 2nd place is the first looser :dance:
    I accept Cashiers Check, Credit card and Paypal.:D

2. Scooter

Scooter Na Koa Ali'i

Yes You did!
    You take Paypal too I assume :hmm:

3. saf1

saf1 New Member

Hi KKPDX

I just saw your blog. It's amazing. I understand the reason for the vision board now. Thanx a lot. :)

4. Eisho

Eisho New Member

Quantum physics is arguing that something doesn't exist UNTIL we observe it. The Universe needs the observer...and the role of the observer as an observer ultimately destroys objectivity in the sense that there is something 'out there' separate from us.

I'm still not convinced (nearly 18 months after reading and seeing The Secret) that there is hard scientific evidence to support their assertions, despite their claims. I still haven't seen any references to it and in reading around the subject haven't read similar claims from other sources. To me the LoA remains an overly complicated way of tutoring people to focus on what they want to increase the likelihood of getting it (with no guarantee)...I still don't see a lot of 'attraction' in it...you need to go out and stake your claim. Focus is only one part of the equation. And I definitely don't believe that the Universe works as a giant mail-order catalogue...

Cheers,

Eisho

5. Eisho

Eisho New Member

This is very good advice. Take a look at this personal development program I wrote that covers the first two steps: Knowing what you want and knowing why you want it.

Cheers,

Eisho

6. saf1

saf1 New Member

How can a person observe something if it doesn't exist? :hmm: One of the reasons that made me want to understand more about it, is that my favourite writer, Dr Robert Anthony believes in the LOA, and i have so much respect for him for all the amazing books he has written. anyway thanks for the feedback :)

7. Eisho

Eisho New Member

The act of observing brings it (whatever 'it' is) into existence. Prior to observation it doesn't exist as that thing...

Einstein, incidentally, wasn't happy with this idea either...he believed things existed 'out there'.

And remember - Quantum physics is most likely just the current 'ultimate' way of understanding things...in 50 years time there could well be another break through that takes us to a deeper level of understanding...another reason I remain a bit suspicious about the conclusions in things like The Secret. Really, what they are doing is attempting to explain the universe in language that is contemporary and limited by that very fact.

Eisho

8. KKPDX

KKPDX Feeling Grateful Everyday

Thanks!

Yes, as a matter of fact I do! Make me rich Scooter. :D

Kimberly

9. KKPDX

KKPDX Feeling Grateful Everyday

Thank you very much! :) I appreciate the feedback....:thumb:

And thanks for reminding me that I need to do some writing in there tonight!

All the best, :cool:

Kimberly

10. Paul@Pittsburgh

Paul@Pittsburgh Moving on

I agree. Spider will probably do jumping jacks in agreement too. But be prepared for gnashing of teeth. You're stepping into the realm of challenging a lot of people's belief systems, especially here on this site. We've had endless debates on this and it all seemed to go quiet for a while :D

11. Eisho

Eisho New Member

This is exactly the point Paul: it's a belief...but no-one who subscribes to it wants to call it such. I would be far more sympathetic if people said 'I believe in the LoA' but so much is 'I know for a fact that the LoA works. What I think about manifests. I get everything I think about.' The Secret makes the claims that this is all scientifically verifiable...but doesn't give the sources for that information...they claim it is based on ancient spiritual texts...but these texts are not talking about attraction they are talking about the uncovering of something that is already within you...and the texts are talking about (surprise) spiritual awakening, not material possession or physical health or somesuch...

So I'll ask on this board: If there is scientific evidence to support the assertion that your thoughts are measurable and observable and able to attract other similar thoughts in the ether, please list the journal that this experiment and data were presented in.

If there is a spiritual text that asserts that there is a separation between self and divinity and that it is the work of the self (devoid of the divine) to attract that divinity within, please tell me.

I am very open-minded about this kind of thing and would love to know the sources of these types of claims.

Cheers,

Eisho

12. Stoic_Jason

Stoic_Jason Great Member

Consciously construct your environment.

13. thinkingal

thinkingal Grateful...RIP CatLover x

Yep, that's a good one.

Mine: Be conscious

14. Paul@Pittsburgh

Yep. Being unconscious or drunk never worked well for me :D

15. Paul@Pittsburgh

On a more serious note:

Play full out - be fully engaged in the moment - present - focused.

Don't be at work thinking about home and at home thinking about work.

16. thinktom

thinktom New Member

1. You'd better be in love with the person you see in your mirror. If you aren't, you need to find that love.

2. Everyone ALWAYS says 'write it down'. I don't know why this works, I really don't, but I've achieved virtually every goal for the last eight years because of writing things down. Again, I don't know why it works, it just does. Do it.

3. Find your faith. Whether it's God, Budha, Trump...whatever, find your faith and never let it faulter.

4. Learn to love change.

5. Enjoy the learning process and the journey. Believe me, nothing really matters until your health starts to go. Things like the Big 'C' and deaths of loved ones are the only things that REALLY, REALLY suck. Everything else is gravy.

6. Try, 'fail', adjust...try, 'fail', adjust....try...succeed!! After all, we never really 'fail', we just learn that that particular angle is incorrect.

7. Don't listen to 'hater's'. People with negative energy are just dying to drag you down with them.

8. Enthusiasm, for anything at all, is highly, highly infectious. The people who matter in your life will LOVE to see you succeed and enthusiasm will carry you as far as you want to go.

9. Positive reinforcement, by way of cue cards and affirmations, every, SINGLE, day, without failure, will program your mind like nothing you've ever done in your life.

10. Dress for success. Don't believe me? Spend one day in a tracksuit with crappy hair and then spend the next day in a suit and see the difference in how people perceive you. Is it 'right' that this is the way it is? Nope, probably not. But you are who people think you are.

11. Stick to the 'Vibe'. All the energy and positive vibes you need are here.

12. There is no spoon.

Cheers,

TT

Last edited: Jul 24, 2008
    1 person likes this.
  17. saf1

saf1 New Member

Thanx ThinkTOm for the amazing advice. I am using the same techniques that you have written down with very good results so far. I thank you so much for sharing the techniques with everyone on this forum. There is just one small word that i didn't like, I have to constantly remind myself not to use words like can't, impossible, too difficult. The word that you wrote was try. Below is an excerpt from one of Dr Robert Anthony free Articles on that word:

'We are “TRYING” instead of “DOING”

Most people “try” to get what they want. The problem is every time you try, you are setting yourself up for failure. In reality you can't try to do anything. You either DO it or your DON'T. The whole world is trying and most are failing.

People “try” self-improvement programs and immediately set themselves up for
    failure. I see it all the time. The worst ones are those who write to me and inquire about a refund BEFORE they even order my program!

They say something like, “I want to be sure I can get my money back if this doesn't work”. This tells me that they only want to “try” it, and of course, they will fail. Then they can blame the program (not just mine, but any other program) for their failure.

My clients have a 99% success rate when they follow through. However I must admit that I have 1% that write to me to tell me “Your material just doesn't work”.

Logically this makes no sense. If the program didn't work, I would have 99% writing to tell me that they failed, and 1% telling me that they experienced success.

The amazing thing is that when I have someone write to me telling me that they “can't get it to work”, I almost invariably get another email right after that from someone else sharing their success story. My point here is that the success or failure with any personal improvement strategy is based in DOING, not TRYING to do!

Those who “try” are guaranteed to fail. '

You might not agree with me on the word try, but i thought i would share this piece of information with you, the same way you shared valuable information with me and the rest of the members :)

18. Paul@Pittsburgh

I hear this one a lot but the more I hear it, the more I think it's one of those generalized motherhood statements/cliches that the personal development industry just spews out with not much substance.

I get what the sentiment is, but...

does a baby who can't walk, get up and walk, or does it try to walk, fail, try again, fail, try again and so on and so on, until it walks? Should we consider the baby a failure until it actually walks? Or is it guaranteed to fail because it just didn't get up and walk right the first time?

In many learning situations we try.

In fact I think if you some to someone who knew they didn't have the right skills to do something at a given level - go on just give it a try - they would be more willing to do it and - oh my gosh - fail - than just not do it at all.

I rarely play golf, but someone I know does play. He sometimes asks me to knock a few balls around with him when we meet up on business meetings once a year. I go to keep him company and have some fun and.... I try to play golf because it would be a quite liberal use of the word to say I am playing golf :)

There are many times I think we can 'try' things on in a spirit of playfullness and curiosity.

My $0.02

Paul

19. Paul@Pittsburgh

Copied and pasted into my notebook! Awesome reminder of some basics.

Paul

20. saf1

saf1 New Member

I understand your point. It's a good one. I have noticed whenever i try to do something, or leave the house without total confidence that i am going to accomplish what i set out to do, I don't manage to do it. But whenever i want to do something, and set out with the attitude of doing something, i always get a positive result. If trying works for you, good, continue trying. The whole reason for this thread was for all the members to share what works for them, and for everyone to learn from each other.

When it comes to the baby example. I don't think it's about the baby trying or not. I think it's about intention. The baby has the intention to walk, not to try to walk. It's a shame babies can't talk otherwise we could ask them :biglaugh: