15lbs in three months

Discussion in 'Fitness, Health and Wellness' started by Joanne1216, Sep 16, 2011.

1. Joanne1216

Joanne1216 Well-Known Member

Does that seem like a reasonable amount of weight to lose in three months?

2. saf1

saf1 New Member

To me yes. In the last month, I lost 22 pounds. My goal is to gain weight, but because I've been so busy, I haven't been training or eating well.

3. Scooter

Scooter Na Koa Ali'i

Sure, that is about 1 lb per week. Not even outside of reality.
    Burn and extra 3500 calories a week and don't change anything else and you should get there

4. David

David Gadzooks!

That is a completely reasonable goal and very doable. Decide in advance how you are going to manage two food centered holidays in your path.

5. Joanne1216

Joanne1216 Well-Known Member

I couldn't get that lucky!!

I need to change some things... believe me! I'm so confused with calorie consumption. Some sites tell me approx 1320 calories to lose 1lb a week. Is that enough?

I'm not concerned about the holidays. I am giving myself one cheat day, not to be a glutton but not to worry about my calorie intake.

6. KKPDX

KKPDX Feeling Grateful Everyday

Most definitely! Sounds great. :thumb:

7. Scooter

Scooter Na Koa Ali'i

no clue
    1 lb of fat is approximately 3500 kilocalories or calories as you know them
    How much are you gaining per week now?
    How many calories do you require to maintain?

basically if you are even, just do a low impact workout every day that adds up to 3500 calories and change nothing else. There are lots of tricks you can throw in like changing your diet, eating 5 small meals a day, going low carb etc... but in the end the math is simple burn an extra 3500 calories a week and lose 1 lb per week. But be warned, losing weight and burning fat will trigger an urge to eat and replenish. the problem is all to often people increase intake proportional to exertion and then nothing happens so they stop working out and maintain the increased intake. That ends up in a net gain in weight and another failure.

8. Incognito

Incognito New Member

This is very achievable. You will need to create a caloric deficit of 3500 calories a week to lose a pound a week.

However, in the beginning you will lose some additional water weight so with the 3500 calorie deficit a week plus the additional water weight, you will probably end up losing 10 pounds in the first month alone.

So even though, mathematically on paper, you need to be creating a 3500 calorie deficit every week for 15 weeks to lose 15 pounds, you will not need the entire 15 weeks to achieve that....unless, of course, you want to lose 15 pounds of fat, in which case you need to plan for more like a 20-25 pound weight loss, 5-10lbs. of which would be muscle and water and the remaining 15 would be fat. But if you are just looking to lose 15 pounds, you can do that in far less than 15 weeks without having to make major changes.

9. shohrat shankar

shohrat shankar Life Empowerment Coach and Facilitator

Yes, off course.