I am learning a lot from the guys at work!

Discussion in 'Relationships' started by Cat Lover, Apr 28, 2010.

1. Cat Lover

Cat Lover Writer of my life story

I thought this would be best to post in the relationship threads. I have been granted the opportunity to work with a whole lot of men the last six months. Some of them are younger than me, some are older than me. I have a different type of rapport with all of them.

It seems ironic to me, that I have two men on my shift that remind me of my Uncle Colin. Colin was always the "normal" one in our family. Very business minded, very successful at anything he took on. He and I are estranged now, have been for many years. I miss him a lot, though. Now, here is one older version and one younger version of him, that I get to work with. They are both really interesting people, both have a lot of great advice. I have good rapport with both of them. The older one, is one of our bosses. The younger one, is the one who helped train and mentor me. I am old enough to be his mother, he is like a surrogate son in some ways as well. He has been very good to me.

Our boss, likes to remind me of balance.... not to do too much or kill myself trying to please him and the upper echelon of bosses. Being a people pleaser, I do tend to over work myself. Not at anyone's demand, just because that is my work ethic. I give a lot of myself, my time, my efforts to be a real team player. He tells me he CAN see that, there is no need to bend over backwards in the process. Ya gotta love an honest boss!!

The younger one, well he keeps me on my toes! He is also very honest with me. I can ask either of these guys questions if I am unsure of the outcome or answers. Thankfully, in our team, humor is a relief valve we all indulge in. We can all take a good ribbing, and have a sense of humor and get all our work done to boot.

I find it very interesting to be completely surrounded by so many men at work. It is turning out to be a much more positive experience than I thought it would be.

The younger one on our team, my trainer - W, he is a real character! I get such a kick out him. He is a very interesting guy to talk with. We can talk about astrology, physcology, NLP, politics, religion, you name it.... I find it really cool that he knows NLP too. When he was training me, he could get into my modality and train me the way I needed to be trained, not necessarily the way he wanted to train me. He was able to anchor me in a lot of ways too.

When you work 12 hours a day with these people, you really get to know them as people. You develop a deep rapport with them, and your "team" tends to take on certain family dynamics in some ways. Not in all ways, but it does show at times. There are other things I will post about, but this is a start for this thread.

Anyone here also have unique relationships with the people they work with, that you'd like to share with us here?? Please post and tell us how you and your co-workers get along so well, and why you think that is.

2. tigerbunny

tigerbunny New Member

Hey Cat-Lover,

So synchronous...I was just discussing this with a friend at work. I just started there 3/15, and this wonderful man has got a promotion and is leaving after this Friday.

We kinda got admonished in staff meeting on Monday (mind your time, other people are watching, don't screw up). I observed myself letting those words just wash right over me. He mentioned to me that he found it disappointing. He's been in private sector most of his life, and has only been back in public sector just under a year. I mentioned I'd heard that lecture many times in my public sector career (I've been in two different types for a combined total of over twenty years now). (eeps! this is the first time I ever added that up!)

I also shared that's one of the first times I ever recall it not hurting my feelings. It's an annoyance that seems to go along with public sector employment.

However!!
    I took this job in order to work for my boss. (it was his boss that gave the lecture) I worked for him before, and he promoted out. Both times he has recruited me ~ because he recognized my skill and brains. He's by no means perfect, but he's damn close, especially for a boss. In my previous job, I worked with his wife as a co-worker. They have to be the most odd couple I know. I know people who are more odd, but most of my odd friends have similar oddness.

And I remembered that when I used to work for him, the lecture they (and the person who was his boss then) used to give was more along the lines of 'you don't know what agreement or arrangement others have made, so there's no need to watch them or tattle on them.' Which is a whole different level of respect.

And in our particular line of paper-pushing, there is much opportunity for stress and chaos. He is almost endlessly patient and kind. If he does get a temper up, I think he leaves. I've never seen it. He just calms everyone down. He actually had to be out tending to his sick family, and the rest of the office went into a panic. And yet, he's not afraid to be hard-nosed about getting things right. Our customers (internal clients) want us to 'get it done', but if it's outside the law, he won't do it.

I look forward to more of your stories!

3. Cat Lover

One of the things being around the men at work has helped me with: Being able to forgive my dad. He died back in 1986. I never really got to be close to him, when he was alive. He wasn't a very nice man, certainly not a loving father. Every day that I go to work, I see the building my dad worked at, the last few years of his life. Seeing that, being able to talk with my co-workers, who have experience in dealing with people with mental illness like my dad did, has really helped me a lot. For starters I have been able to digest more of my dad's mental illness, and am now able to forgive him. Ironically, 25 years after he died, I am now missing him. I never did before. I think the people I work with, have had an impact on me in some very positive ways. I am truly grateful for the people I get to work with. There is something to learn from everybody you come in contact with, no matter what their age is.

4. tigerbunny

tigerbunny New Member

okay, this is getting eerie. we posted at the same time!

5. Cat Lover

It sounds like you have a really cool boss. He has recruited you two times now, for two different companies? It sounds as though he is a bit of a mentor to you, as well.... He sounds like a great guy to work for. It sounds as though he is able to be fair and tough, in the right amounts. Makes you wish more people had the skills he has, ey? Thanks for sharing Tiger Bunny. It seems the more we post to one another, the more we tend to have in common. That is really cool. Is it your boss that is getting promoted and leaving again? If so, that is good for him, but sucks that he is leaving.

Do you find you grow more as a person and professionally, when around people like him? I know I do....

6. Cat Lover

Are we twins separated at birth or something? LOL.... :biglaugh:

7. Go-Getter-Girl

Go-Getter-Girl New Member

Cat Lover,

Just wanted to give you a hug. :hug:

Take care,
    GGG

8. Cat Lover

Awww, thanks my awesome friend!!! A hug back to you, too. :hug: Missed you around here, girl. Glad to see you back here these days!!!

9. Go-Getter-Girl

Go-Getter-Girl New Member

Thanks Cat Lover!
    It's feels good to be back and communicating with everyone here. :)

Hugs,
    GGG

10. lehua011

lehua011 New Member

I worked with his wife as a co-worker. They have to be the most odd couple I know. I know people who are more odd, but most of my odd friends have similar oddness.

11. Cat Lover

Another thing I am grateful for, from the guys I work with: I have explained to them that I am peri-meopausal. I explained to them how I am on estrogel most of the month, then on prometrium the last week of the month... and how the last one makes me really crabby!!! LOL. Thankfully, they understand and can appreciate the fact that on those days, I am just not myself. I am always so happy, full of laughter at work, have a really good sense of humor. They knew something was up the other day. I wasn't laughing at their jokes, I was just in a mood!!! Not their fault, I just was...

:BD:

They got a little worried, backed off a bit... waited a while to try to make me laugh. Which they did, of course. I was just SO annoyed by so many little things before heading into work that day. Also the pain in my shoulder didn't help. My shoulder was throbbing in pain that day. Ahhh, the joys of having a torn rotator cuff and frozen shoulder. As if it wasn't bad enough to have this in my left arm, that healed. Now I have the same thing in my right arm!! Very frustrating some days....

I just thank God the guys at work know when I am not to be trifled with, when to cheer me up and when they can poke fun at me again.... That comes from working with one another for 12 hour shifts, every week for the last 6 months. Men of all ages know when to leave the pms'ing, peri- menopausal person on prometrium alone for a while.... LOL. Taz :BD: :lildevil: :biglaugh: Thank God they all have a sense of humor as well.

12. Adonijah

Adonijah New Member

It always feel good when you get to learn something from people and there isn't anything wrong with it, Basically anything that goes in the positive manner when its about learning it can always be an amazing experience and its good that you have shared your thoughts regarding the way you are being benefited.